
Elena, two years ago, on St. Patrick's Day - the day before diagnosis.
Elena, this year, celebrating St. Patrick's Day.
************************************************
Sunday is Elena's two year diagnosis anniversary. Tomorrow we will be celebrating two years of her brave fight by helping to give life to others. Right now, I'm feeling more melancholy than celebratory.
This time of year is interesting for me. It must be because Elena was diagnosed right around a holiday and right at the beginning of Spring. Seeing the St. Patrick's day green come out and feeling the warm sun again and seeing spring flowers has an unfortunate way of taking me right back every now and then. I really do think we've all dealt with it pretty well, it's not like I fall to pieces every time I see a crocus. Quite the opposite, in fact. Usually I'm just super excited for spring. But they are reminders that serve to jog my memory occasionally with unpleasant recollections and feelings. Like the other day, we had a little St. Patrick's Day party with Elena's friend, Daphne. We had the girls all gussied up in green for the occasion. Elena came walking into the room at some point during the day and I saw the bow in her hair- the same one she was wearing the day before she was diagnosed (the day that I finally realized something was wrong). I had picked out the bow for her hair without a second thought, but in that unguarded moment when I caught sight of it, it totally took me right back. It was like deja-vu. All the worry and fear and uncertainty came rushing back involuntarily. It only lasted for a minute, but it was crazy how it felt so real and took me right back to that day. Maybe I need to get rid of that bow.
This year, I think it's been especially hard, because Lily is almost the exact age that Elena was at diagnosis. I'll dress Lily in something and I remember when Elena wore that same thing when she was that age. Before she was diagnosed. In that other life we had. It sounds so silly, but it's amazing how a piece of clothing can bring so many memories and feelings to the surface. It's just disconcerting to have Lily at this age- the last age I remember Elena at before everything changed. The old Elena with her bleach blonde baby hair and chubby arms and no cancer. I look at a random bruise on Lily and wonder if she's next, if we somehow have some gene that makes it so our kids can't get past two and a half without getting cancer. This age that Lily's at, this month of March, they really get to me sometimes. Elena asks me every so often when Lily will get cancer. Or when her cousin, Jo, will get cancer. Or her friends from church. Sadly, and as much as we try to make it not be, it is her reality.
On Sunday, we learned that a little cancer friend passed away unexpectedly that morning. He was scheduled to have a bone marrow transplant the next day to cure his relapsed AML. Critter was just shy of his own two year diagnosis anniversary. Eric and I read his mom's blog post from that day and then sat on the couch and held each other and cried. One of only a handful of times I have ever seen Eric cry. We cried for Critter and his sweet family. We cried for everyone hurting from cancer. And we cried for our Elena - our fear of what might happen and our gratitude that she's still with us. The part where his mom talked about his "pack pack" that he had to bring with him to the hospital hit too close to home. I could picture a dozen similar situations as we've been headed out the door for the hospital with Elena and some toy or stuffed animal or purse that she had to take with us. They were just packing for a hospital stay with no thought at all that he'd never come home. Just like we have a dozens of times. After I got my cry out, I sat there and thought. I thought about how Critter didn't quite make it to his two year anniversary and how Elena was approaching hers. I was filled with gratitude (and a little guilt) that she's made it to two years and that she's doing so well - especially lately.
I hope that the feelings and memories will dull with time - that each year will get easier. For now, I'll let today be a day for a little of the sadness connected with two years ago. I'll try to remember to hold my girls a little tighter and speak a little softer to them. And I'll save tomorrow for a day of celebrating and giving and hope. Stay strong, my little Elena.
10 comments:
Breaks my heart to read about Critter :(
Stay strong!
Elena is looking great!
I read your friend's blog post about her son, and of course, cried my eyes out. I hope they can find some comfort in their hard time and that you can too.
Elena is looking so good! I showed Kenny the picture of her with the shamrock and he said, "She has that much hair?! Good for her!!" We love you guys and I hope we can get together soon! Have fun tomorrow!
It will get easier--but I doubt if this day will ever be completely free from memories. It's amazing how quickly and completely the mind (spirit) can recall those moments that softened and molded our hearts. I find that something simple will remind me of another day, and all the emotion of that day comes back in a flood. Maybe that helps to keep our hearts softened and enables us to be compassionate with others. I don't know.
Thanks for sharing the link to Critter's blog. What a tender, heart-breaking experience.
I wish there was something that I could do to take away your fear. Elena is doing so well. I pray for her every day. Thanks for your honest expression of all you're experiencing. I love you and admire your strength.
Wow. Thanks Briana. I love hearing your thoughts. It makes me feel like I am there, experiencing it with you. We love you guys SO much and are so glad Elena is doing well. Crazy how much hair she has! Hug them both for me.
Thank you for sharing your candid thoughts. You are so strong and your story is helping so many others too. My heart breaks for Critter's family and for all the other kids' families whose childhoods are taken from them. Fortunately our Savior has paid for that, and can make us each whole again-as difficult as the journey may be.
I understand your fear about Lily, I think it is similar to the fear I have experienced after having a miscarriage--At the time we were fearful, wondering if it's just "in our genes" to only have miscarriages. Fortunately Cameron proved that theory wrong, still though, in all subsequent pregnancies, there is always that 12 weeks along mark looming in my mind, wondering if I can make it past that--just because I had 1 miscarriage at 12 weeks. Thankfully, Heavenly Father has a bigger plan for us all than we can see ourselves.
I think and pray about your family often!
oh, i can't imagine what critter's parents are feeling. i read the post and also cried my eyes out. it would be so, so hard to lose a child, especially after such a long fight. that's the thing that seems the most cruel about cancer. it is such a long, drawn out treatment, and even after all that you always have to worry about the chance of relapse. oh, i hate it. i hate that you/we even have to consider that option. i can imagine that you would look at lily and think that. i have thought the same about lincoln-- he is about the age she was when diagnosed too. he is so little. i think the girls seemed older (maybe because they were our first?) but now i realize just how little elena was. anyway, sorry for the rambling. you guys are never far from our thoughts and prayers. can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!
the strength of your little family amazes me every time i read a new post. sometimes a good cry is the perfect medicine - so don't feel like you have to be upbeat all of the time. this may be an inappropriate time to mention this, but perhaps in the future you could consider writing a book, based off of this blog? you really are an incredible writer - feelings can be so hard to describe and yet it seems to come easily for you. reading your posts is inspirational for me, and i'm sure they would be so helpful and healing for families going through similar situations. much love <3
Beautiful and sad. I feel like we've been on this journey with you guys and I can't get over how amazing you've been through all of it. I am so happy that Elena is doing well, we are always checking in with you guys and you are always in our prayers.
I can't believe it's been two years. You all are so very strong. Elena has proven so strong. I am grateful I'm her aunt and that she's Jo's favorite friend:).
Amen. We love you guys.
Post a Comment