Thursday, January 24, 2013

A little rant on a Thursday

Dishonesty and thievery really steams my clams. Teeth clenched, fists shaking, blood pressure rising. That sort of stuff. I just can't stand it. So, in an effort to let off some of that steam, here's a little letter to the thief who stole our identity over there in Maryland:

Dear THIEF:

I hope that $200 charge at Target- that the bank actually let through (we won't even talk about the others that weren't authorized...)- was worth it. Seriously. That's the price you'll sell yourself for? $200 at Target. I sure hope you were at least buying food with it. Because your little children are starving and you didn't have breakfast for them. Otherwise, I have a few books I want you to read. And also you need to sit back and think long and hard and reevaluate your life.

Again, I really hope that charge at Target was worth it. Because my husband has been working long, hard hours every single day to fund your shopping spree. We never see him anymore (except for those ten minutes when he comes home to change his shirt and shoes) and he's like constantly sick because he gets very few hours of sleep every night in between jobs. Because he's WORKING (what a concept!) really hard to earn the money that we need to pay OUR OWN BILLS. Which include many medical bills from our daughter's health problems - and cancer treatments. You freaking dirtbag. 

Don't take stuff that isn't yours!!!!  You (most likely) have two hands - go get a job and work hard YOURSELF. Besides the fact that stealing is lazy, wrong, despicable, etc, etc., you don't know the cost. You don't know the stories of the people you are stealing from and the sacrifices they were already making to have that money before you stole it. But maybe you don't care.

I'm mostly outraged right now (and it's a really good thing that we're on opposite ends of the country), but there is also a part of me that feels really sorry for you. That those clothes or speakers or iPhone accessories or toys or whatever were worth it. That your views of life and decency are so far gone that this was acceptable to you. I'm sad that you don't know the lessons and growth that come from rolling up your sleeves and digging in and working hard and accomplishing things yourself. It's not easy, but it's a good feeling. So, maybe tonight... after some of this fresh disgust and anger has faded, I'll include you in my prayers, too. Right after the family I know who's son just passed away from cancer two days ago. 

Sincerely,
Me


Now, the happy thing in all this is that our credit union is AMAZING!! (Thank you, Fro, forever for getting me signed up with them all those years ago!) They caught the identity theft quickly and stopped authorizing charges and are helping us get everything reversed. But, we'll still have to deal with a negative balance from all these shenanigans for a few days. And the hassle of not being able to use our cards and having to file reports and fill out paperwork, etc. But oh well, I guess. It could be worse. Another letter:

Dear America First:

You are the bomb. We love you so much it hurts. Thanks for rocking. There's a reason we go to the trouble of keeping you as our financial institution even though we're out of state. 

All our love,
Us

4 comments:

Liz said...

OH NO! I'm so sorry you had that happen. So sorry. That's the last thing you need. But good that it's being taken care of, and hopefully will prove to be no more than a bothersome inconvenience in the long run.

Chelsie said...

Ugh. That is just so frustrating! The hassle and inconvenience is almost worse than the loss of funds. Especially when you're family is suffering (not seeing each other) to be honest and responsible.

I hope you're able to get it worked out with as little trouble as possible!

Nana's Spot said...

Isn't enough is enough for you kids? Bah humbug! I'm so sorry.

Christy said...

oh my GOSH this stuff really riles me up. sometimes i really hate people. this has happened to us several times... the biggest was for $400 which is no small amount of money... especially for college students. yes, we eventually got it back, but still! i just recently noticed some weird charges on our account. it would be like five dollars to walmart pending, then that would disappear and then there would be a random $7 to walmart (always to walmart)and it would disappear before it cleared... this went on and on for about a month. i finally went into the bank to see what was going on and we figured out that someone was trying to use tom's debit card number online and trying to guess the CVC and/or expiration. nuts, ey? we got a new card but it totally creeped me out that someone was doing that. i hope your situation is worked out by now!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06