We had a grand day celebrating our big girl! Lily let me know weeks in advance that she wanted chocolate milk and donuts for her birthday breakfast. So, chocolate milk, donuts, and decorations there were!
The birthday girl!
Our beautiful three year old all ready for a day of fun!
In the afternoon, we had a playdate set up at the park with one of our good little friends, Macee and her mom. Who would have thought that we'd be playing at the park on Lily's January birthday?! But January in Arizona is truly gorgeous (although nothing like winter or January at all). It was sunny and beautiful and perfect weather. The girls played on the toys, rolled in the grass, and had races on the basketball court. (And I forgot to pull out the camera - once again.... :))
On the way home, we took advantage of $1 scoop day at Baskin Robbins and stopped in for a birthday treat. I kept talking up the whole "Baskin Robbins 31 flavors!" thing to the girls and was encouraging them to dream big. "You get to choose ANY flavor you want!" And what did they choose? Chocolate (Elena) and Strawberry (Lily). :) We'll keep working on that....
I find it delightful (and slightly dangerous) that we live within a very short walk of Baskin Robbins. :)
Then we got home and relaxed a bit before dinner, cake, and present time. Now, don't fall off your chairs everyone, but I actually made Lily's birthday cake. From scratch. Anyone that knows me knows that I don't really do the birthday cake thing. Lack of baking skills and creative prowess and such. But I did it this year - chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, as per Lily's request. And it was heartily approved by the girls. But I thought it was just alright - not bad, but kind of a lot of fuss for the end result. :) We shall see what the future holds for me and cake making.
(Best viewed from a distance or with a squint. ;))
By the time Eric got home from work and scouts, I wasn't feeling super hot (I'm going to say I used up all my steam making the cake and frosting), so we convinced Lily that she could get salmon and broccoli at Chili's instead of at home. :) A plan she very enthusiastically agreed to.
Me and the birthday girl
That birthday hat kills me
And then it was home again and on to cake and presents!
Blowing out the candles
Princess shoes from Elena
And a bike from mom and dad!
Lily has really been wanting a bike ever since Elena got hers. I balked for a while at the thought of spending money on one of those tiny bikes that kids outgrow fast. But then Eric found a sweet deal at Kid to Kid on a hardly touched bike and we also remembered that Lily is little. And is likely to be little for quite some time. So, it's like the equivilant of a bigger, longer lasting sized bike, right? :) The girls are pretty excited to "be twins" (as they say) and both have bikes to ride together.
Thanks to everyone who called, sent messages and cards, and gave gifts! Our little lady had a fantastic day! We love you, Miss Lils!
6 comments:
As always, so stinkin' cute in those pictures! I feel like Lily is so pumped about life-I love it! Happy Birthday Lils! We miss you so much!
i squinted. ;) the cake looks delish! i'm happy to see y'all went for a chocolate cake and chocolate milk since miss lily can now have chocolate. hooray! i'm sad we couldn't celebrate with you guys. perhaps we should have a big unbirthday party in march. :)
She is a cutie! And don't give up on the homemade cake. You just need a good recipe!!! And I would not want to live that close to Baskin Robins. Danger zone!!! Good luck with that. :)
So cute, happy birthday, Lily! A BR within walking distance sounds great to me!
I love how you celebrate special days! Lily's growing up, and she's a doll. Wish we could have shared the sunshine and the cake!
That cake looks yummy! Happy birthday lily!!
Post a Comment